SLOW COOKED LAMB SHANKS
2 Carrots, roughly chopped
1 Onion, sliced
3 Garlic cloves, roughly chopped
2 Sprigs rosemary
1 bottle of Grant Burge 5th Generation Cab Merlot
2 Cups beef stock
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons cornflour
olive oil, for cooking
salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 190C
- Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper.
- Brown the lamb shanks on all sides in the olive oil; remove from pan, and put into a large casserole dish to keep warm.
- Slowly cook the carrots, onions, garlic, bay leaves and rosemary until nicely coloured.
- Pour in the red wine, beef stock, and brown sugar and stir gently bringing it to a low boil.
- Pour the wine mixture over the lamb shanks; top up with water if needed.
- Cover; put in oven and cook for 2 ½ 3 hours until very tender.
- Remove the lamb shanks and keep warm and skim the fat off the top of the red wine juices.
- Mix together the cornflour with just a bit of cold water and whisk the cornflour mixture into the red wine juices until desired consistency.
Serve up on individual plates and enjoy with a glass of Grant Burge 5th Generation Cab Merlo.