Check out this delicious perfect pairing!
5 cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons of coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
½ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons coarse salt
8 carrot, peeled and trimmed
16 small potatoes peeled
1 large beet peeled and cut into wedges
8 baby turnips peeled
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Allow the leg of lamb to rest at room temperature for 1 hour before cooking.
2. Preheat an oven to 200 degrees C. Place the oven rack in the lower third of the oven.
3. Whisk the garlic, pepper, red pepper flakes, bay leaf, rosemary, ½ cup olive oil, vinegar, and honey together in a small bowl. Rub the mixture over the lamb, then season with 2 tablespoons coarse salt.
4. Roast the lamb in the preheated oven for 20 minutes
5. Toss carrots, potatoes, beet and turnips with 2 tablespoons olive oil and a pinch of salt. Remove tray from oven and arrange vegetables around seasoned leg of lamb
6. Reduce oven temperature to 165 degrees C. Continue roasting to your desired degree of doneness, about 90 minutes more for medium-rare. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 54 degrees C.
7. If desired finish on the grill – grill for 1 minute then turn 45 degrees and grill for a further minute. Repeat on both sides. This creates the crossed effect.
8. .Allow the leg of lamb on a cutting board, tented with aluminum foil, for 20-30 minutes before carving. Place the vegetables on a serving platter and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm until ready to serve.
Enjoy with a glass of Jacob’s Creek Double Barrel Shiraz!